In this digital world, software tools are playing a huge role in each operation of businesses today. No one wants to deploy a software product without completing software testing processes. Testing is a key part of the SDLC (software development life cycle). Software testing helps define the success rate of the particular software product.
Most youngsters prefer the software tester role to make a reliable career without hard efforts. This role is responsible for the quality of software deployment and development. A software tester is involved in performing manual and automated tests to ensure the product created by the software developer is fit for end-users.
However, the software testing team must include a perfect mix of professionals to identify and fix the issues as quickly as possible.
Software Testing Team Roles and Responsibilities
While every enterprise follows a various structure of the testing team, there are some roles common in every testing team structure.
QA leader is the key member of the testing team. They should have a deep understanding of the testing methodology or process. Complete responsibilities of QA leaders are listed out here.
- Act as a centre of contact for Intra and interdepartmental interaction
- Represent the testing team as well as enable a relationship with customers
- The deciding factor of test schedule and budget
- Identify the software testing operations for other team members
- Planning the overall testing process
- Checking the availability of the manpower and tools to execute the testing activities
- Developing the status report of testing operations
- Sharing every update on testing with the managers
- Planning post-test meetings and pre-test meetings
The test lead is an expert who is a strong knowledge of the varied test program issues like test design, test development, and data management. Some key responsibilities of test lead experts are listed out here.
- Technical expertise related to the test approach and test program
- Provide complete support for staff planning, customer interface, and supervision, and also progress status reporting
- Validating the quality of the requirements such as test design, script, testability, test automation, and others.
- Keep in touch with the trendy test approaches and tools
- Arranging walk-through for test procedure and design
- Implementing the test activity
- Ensuring the test product documentation is complete
The test engineer role is to determine the optimal way to create an activity that can enable one to test a software product.
- Manual Testing Engineer
- Automation Testing Engineer
- Selenium Testing Engineer
Manual Test Engineer
With a crystal-clear understanding of the GUI design and its standards, the manual testers are highly talented in developing test suites and other testing techniques. Manual testers never use any automated tools to find bugs in the software system. Manual tester roles are
- Using associated test information to develop and design test cases and procedures
- Manually implementing the test procedures
- Attending walk-through and test-procedure
- Following the required set standard
Automation Test Engineer
Automation test engineers are always working on developing, designing, and deploying testing tools. They do not require any physical intervention to run test data into the system. Some responsibilities of automation test roles are
- Selection of test cases for automation
- Apply designing and test automation strategy documents
- Create an automation test plan and get an approval
- Configure the selenium test environment for setup
- Developing, enhancing, debugging, and running test cases
- Organizing, and monitoring defect management process
Selenium Testing Engineer
Selenium testing engineer role is coming under automation testing. The selenium testing tool helps to automate tests across the browsers. This particular testing process helps to deliver high-end web applications to the end-users. Key responsibilities of selenium test engineer are
- Business or functional requirements analysis
- Creation of automation testing tactic framework
- Creation of automation test scripts
- Reviewing the results of test and reporting results
- Guiding the team players on technical issues
- Developing the test cases using Selenium element locators and WebDriver API Commands
Different Types of Software Testing
- Functional Testing
- Non-functional Testing
In the section of functional testing, the functionality of the software needs to be tested by the test engineers. Some of the key functional testing types are
- Unit testing
- Integration testing
- End-to-End testing
- Smoke testing
- Sanity testing
- Regression testing
- White box and black box testing
- Acceptance testing
- Interface testing
It’s always difficult to conduct non-functional tests manually. It requires some advanced tools to run tests.
- Performance testing
- Load testing
- Security testing
- Compatibility testing
- Fall-over testing
- Volume testing
- Usability testing
- Stress testing
- Volume testing
- Scalability testing
- Endurance testing
- Disaster recovery testing
- Maintenance testing
- Compliance testing
- Localization testing
Software testing is one of the prominent job profiles in all sizes of IT companies. If youngsters want to choose this profession, they need more practical knowledge than oral knowledge. Whether they may find internship programs from top IT industries or find high-end institutions to join software testing courses. This profession will help youngsters to be settled in a dominant career.
Are you looking for a Software tester Job? At QR Solutions Pvt Ltd, we have multiple openings for a Software tester.